Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pecan Pie Muffins

Pecan Pie Muffins
OMG!  These Pecan Pie Muffins are now my favorite low carb dessert.  Prior to tonight, the reining dessert was my Peanut Butter Fudge but these muffins have won out.  My carb-eating Hubs had previously liked the Individual Cheesecakes best but also agrees that these muffins have won out.  The Hubs actually voluntarily grabbed a second one off the counter after dinner.  That never happens!  Normally I have to make him taste my low carb desserts and he's just like "it's ok" or whatever, but these he grabbed seconds!  I got this recipe from Linda, who didn't think they were quite as great as we did.  Mine seemed to have come out fluffier and more muffin-y than hers even though I followed her recipe pretty exact.  I did two minor things different: a) I only made 9 muffins with the dough as it just seemed to fit the muffin cups better; b) She said hers were done in 15 minutes but mine took 25 minutes.  Maybe it's because I made 9 larger muffins versus 12 smaller and/or maybe because I used cupcake liners and I don't think she did.  In any event, mine turned out fluffy, very moist and delish!

5 STARS
9 servings
4 net carbs per muffin

2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses (common ingredient in low carb world to give that brown sugar taste)
1/2 cup Carbquik (Atkins baking mix is easier to find but I'm unsure of the taste or carb count difference)
1 cup pecans, finely chopped, about 3 1/2 ounces



In a small-medium bowl, whisk the butter, eggs, vanilla and sweeteners. The mixture may look curdled. Whisk in the Carbquik until a smooth batter forms. Stir in the pecans. Spoon into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin tins and bake at 350ยบ 15 minutes until golden brown and set in the center. The toothpick test will not work for these. They won't rise much and will be very small. Carefully remove them from the tins and cool on a wire rack.  




9 comments:

  1. Is there anything I can use in place of the Carbquick? I don't have any at the present time, but would like to make these this weekend. Thanks, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, any low carb baking mix would probably work just as well. I've yet to try other brands but I know that Atkins brand as well as Bob's Red Mill are probably the easiest to find. Sometimes they are even at the regular grocery store.

      Delete
  2. Hi - Is it necessary to put that much butter? When I made them, they were delicious but the butter was puddling on the bottom of the cupcake liner and tin... Just wondering. Tasted great but would love it if there was a way to avoid the greasiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could use less butter but they may be a bit dry tasting. You would probably want to experiment to find the perfect "sweet spot" where they aren't dry but aren't greasy. I'm out of Carbquik and have decided that I don't care much for the aftertaste so I won't be buying anymore to be able to try this recipe with less butter. If you make again, let me know how they turned out!

      Delete
    2. We made them with just 1 stick of butter and they were perfect and not dry at all. Great recipe, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Can you use almond flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try almond flour tonight, but I think they should turn out okay! I'll give feedback :)

      Delete