Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Baked Jerk Chicken

Baked Jerk Chicken
One of the ways to ensure a beautiful, moist chicken with a nice crispy skin is to bake it long and low.  I love using dry marinades on chicken (forms a nice crust) then cooking it for a long time at a low temperature.  Even the breast is moist!  My kids eat what I eat so this isn't the jerk-iest of jerk seasonings but it is still quite flavorful and the whole family enjoyed.  Feel free to up some of the flavorings if you'd like it a bit more spicy but I thought it came out great just the way it is.  This recipe is based on THIS recipe from allrecipes, although a changed the quantities of some of the seasonings based on the reviews.  My Hubs isn't big on leftovers so I usually repurpose leftover meat into a casserole or I'll have it for lunch when he's at work.  However, with this chicken he said "let's have this again tomorrow".  Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor!  If you aren't too into jerk chicken, make a dry marinade from Italian seasonings, Greek, etc and just follow the cooking directions.

4 STARS
6 servings
3 net carbs per serving

1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp Splenda
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp minced dried garlic
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 whole chicken, cleaned and cut into pieces
1/4 cup canola oil


Mix all seasonings (except oil) together.  Toss chicken pieces with spice mixture then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (the dry spices will form a bit of a crust, holding the juices in).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat inside of a 9x13 baking dish with the 1/4 cup of oil.  Place chicken in baking dish, skin side up.  Bake for 1 hr 20 min.  Turn oven on to broil and cook 3-5 minutes to crisp the skin.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know the first thing about cutting up and cleaning a whole chicken. Any tips for me. I rarely cook with anything but boneless/skinless because of my fear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi llamamama! As much as I like to cook, I used to be fairly "chicken" to cut up chicken as well. This video from chow.com shows you how easy it is. Don't let that little clucker get the best of you. :)
      http://www.chow.com/food-news/53485/how-to-cut-a-chicken-into-eight-serving-pieces/

      Delete