Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Breaded Coconut Chicken

Coconut Chicken
This was goooood!  I'm always trying to mix up my chicken dishes so my family doesn't get bored and this did not disappoint.  This is from Linda because she is awesome and I always love her recipes (I don't know her and I'm pretty sure she doesn't know I exist, I just like her recipes).  She made this using 3 chicken breasts that she cut in half to make 6 very thin cutlets.  I decided to make nuggets.  After making, I have to agree with her, this should be made as bigger pieces.  For one, I had to use double the coating because I had so much more surface area (which made these almost TOO flavorful).  Also, flipping was difficult and I didn't get a beautiful light brown crust/toasted coconut like I should have and would have if I only had 6 flat pieces to work with.  I've written the recipe below using her original way since that is how I would recommend.  The only thing I added that I thought worked great was 1 tsp of Splenda since the coconut is unsweetened.

4 STARS
3 servings
2 net carbs per serving


3 thin boneless chicken breast cutlets
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg white, beaten until frothy
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, finely ground, 1 1/4 ounces
1/2 cup almond flour, 2 ounces (I used almond meal and thought it was good being a little chunkier than flour)
1 tsp Splenda
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup oil, for frying (I used coconut oil)

Mix the coconut and almond flour in a shallow bowl. Cut each breast into 2 pieces; season with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken breastes in egg white, then in coconut to coat on both sides, pressing gently to coat them well. Sprinkle with a little additional salt, if desired. Chill an hour or so until just before cooking time to allow the coating to set up. Fry in hot oil in a skillet until golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Serve with a dipping sauce, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I made it for dinner last week, and what a great and easy recipe. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete