Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Chipotle Lime Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

Chipotle Lime Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Drooooooool.  I mean it's bacon and shrimp.  What's not to like?  Throw in some heat and citrus and you've got some mouth watering food right there.  This is from SimplyRecipes and I made it exactly as they wrote the recipe.  I had to use the oven method since it was gloomy and rainy in my part of the world today.  Next time I think I will add more chipotle powder as it wasn't very noticeable.  I'm not really into super spicy food so that should tell you how mild this was.  If you like heat, then add more chipotle, by all means.  This recipe was written as serving 3 people but that made these portions too small for me.  I changed it to be 2 servings and that seemed more appropriate. *INDUCTION FRIENDLY*

4 STARS
2 servings
2.4 net carbs per serving

12 large, raw, peeled and deveined shrimp (I used Jumbo 31-40 count)
2 TBSP olive oil
zest from 1 lime
juice from 1 lime
1/4 tsp chipotle powder (I would add more next time)
6 strips bacon, cut in half to make 12 pieces
skewers if using grill, toothpicks if using oven



Mix together in a small bowl the lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, and chipotle powder. Put the shrimp in the lime chipotle mixture; make sure each piece is well coated.  Spread the bacon pieces out over several layers of paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with another layer of paper towel. Microwave on high until the bacon fat begins to melt but the bacon is still pliable, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Prepare grill on high, direct heat (if grilling) or preheat the oven to 450°F.  Working one at a time, wrap a half piece of microwaved bacon around each piece of shrimp. If you are grilling, thread the shrimp onto long, flat skewers (flat skewers make turning the shrimp on the grill easier). If you don't have flat skewers, I've used two thin bamboo skewers (soaked in water for 30 minutes beforehand) to the same effect. If you are using the oven, secure each the bacon onto the shrimp with toothpicks. Place the bacon-wrapped shrimp on a slotted baking pan (lined with foil inside for easy cleaning). Brush remaining lime chipotle mixture on the outside of the bacon-wrapped shrimp.


No comments:

Post a Comment