Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lemon Blackberry Pancakes

Lemon Blackberry Pancakes
Tired of eggs and bacon for breakfast?  If so then you need to make these pancakes!  I've made PANCAKES before but they were just basic ole pancakes.  Now these pancakes, these pancakes pictured above are quite special.  The tang of the lemon and blackberry together is just oh so good.  If you don't have fresh blackberries (I have tons growing in my backyard) then you could make them with any berry, just adjust the carb counts accordingly.  I used lemon extract because I get a little forgetful and didn't realize I had some fresh lemons sitting right on my counter when I started pulling out ingredients.  I think this would be even better if I had used lemon zest instead of lemon extract.  Quite fabulous just the way it's written though.  I've tried them plain and with Sugar Free Torani Vanilla syrup poured on top.  Both ways were fabulous.  These would be amazing with some BETTER THAN COOL WHIP WHIPPED CREAM

5 STARS
1 serving
6 net carbs per serving

3oz block cream cheese; softened in microwave
2 eggs
2 TBSP ground golden flax meal
1 tsp lemon extract (this was very lemon-y so reduce if you want milder)
1 tsp Splenda
1/4 cup fresh blackberries


Beat all ingredients except blackberries with mixer on medium until batter is smooth and fluffy.  Add blackberries and mix on low until lightly chopped and mixed in with batter.  Pour onto a greased skillet pre-heated to medium.  Flip when underside is turning brown.  I made 2 large pancakes but I recommend 3 smaller ones for flipping ease.

4 comments:

  1. I have to find that Lemon Extract. These sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby! You could make them with lemon juice or lemon zest as well. Whatever you have on hand.

      Delete
  2. I just tried these, they are good but a bit eggy for me. Wonder if I microwaved them instead of pan frying would they puff up a bit more? Yours look so much more bread like, mine were too dense. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...if you microwave you'd pretty much wind up with a MIM (Muffin in a Minute). It would puff up more but it would be eggy as well and wouldn't have that "pancake crust". All I can think of for tips is that maybe you needed to blend at a higher speed and/or for longer to get the batter fluffier? If you try another method, let me know how they work out!

      Delete