Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Twice Baked Cauliflower

Twice Baked Cauliflower
This was so good!  I was a little apprehensive about serving it to my family just because I've yet to get them to really enjoy cauliflower the same as other vegetables.  This was a big hit though!  The Boy asked me to make it more often and wants me to pack up some of the leftovers for his lunch tomorrow.  He's a leftovers kind of kid and packing them for lunch is a big seal of approval.  This recipe is from Kalyn.  I made it exactly as stated in her original recipe except I used full fat ingredients (isn't being a low carber amazing!!) and added salt and pepper.  She just states to use a medium casserole dish but I can tell you that this fit perfectly in my 1.5 quart glass pyrex so I'd use that size or even a 2 if it's the closest you have. *INDUCTION FRIENDLY*

5 STARS
6 servings
4.5 net carbs per serving

1 large head cauliflower
4 oz. full fat cream cheese
1/2 cup full fat sour cream
1/4 cup minced green onions
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
6 slices bacon, cooked until very crisp, crumbled
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste




Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Cut out stem and core from cauliflower, and cut into small pieces. Cook in large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is tender, but not overly soft. Drain well and mash with potato masher, leaving some chunks. Mix in cream cheese, sour cream, green onion, Parmesan, and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon.


Spread evenly in a medium-sized glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

9 comments:

  1. How many carbs would you say this has per serving? And what would be a serving? Looks YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, this is 6 servings at 4.5 net carbs per serving. I base my serving sizes off of how my family eats, not some skimpy portions! :)

      Delete
  2. it looks like rice. is that how it tastes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cauliflower is pretty much a rice and/or potato replacement for low carb-ers. I wouldn't say it tastes like rice as rice does have a distinctive taste but it's probably as close as you can get without eating actual rice! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious. Now I have to go buy a cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this tonight and my family LOVED it!!!! This by far is one of the best sides I've found yet for cauliflower. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shred the cauliflower in a food processor, put into a glass pie pan with 1/2 t-spoon of water and cook for about 8 minutes in the microwave oven, stir once. I think this retains more of the nutrients then boiling.

    ReplyDelete