Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Green Beans with Bacon and Blue Cheese

Green Beans with Bacon and Blue Cheese
This was a nice change of pace as I normally just steam green beans with some lemon, in a DIJON SAUCE or I make them up with BACON AND ONIONS.  Someone mentioned throwing some blue cheese on top of them and I thought "Why not?".  The blue cheese was very strong but it was very good.  You really need to like blue cheese to enjoy this one.  I didn't even bother trying to feed it to the kids as I couldn't imagine them enjoying the strong flavor.  I'm not sure I'll make it again but it was fun and different and helped use up some of the blue cheese I have in my fridge. *INDUCTION FRIENDLY IF YOU OMIT THE WORCESTERSHIRE*

3 STARS
4 servings
5 net carbs per serving

3 slices of bacon
1/2 onion, sliced (sometimes I chop instead)
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1/2 pound green beans (frozen or fresh, any cut.  NOT CANNED)
salt and pepper to taste
1 oz crumbled blue cheese

Cut bacon into small pieces.  I like to use kitchen scissors and cut all 3 slices at once.  Chop onion.  Cook bacon and onion together in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  While the bacon and onion is cooking, we will do a bit of a cheater method to start the green beans going.  If using fresh, wash first.  Put green beans (fresh or frozen) in a microwave safe bowl with about a TBSP of water.  Microwave for about 3-4 minutes to defrost/start the cooking process.  Once bacon looks close to done, add the green beans, worcestershire, salt and pepper to the skillet.  Stir occasionally.  If your green beans look like they are drying up a bit before they have softened, add a TBSP of water or beef broth at a time to keep moist until the green beans are soft.  Plate and immediately sprinkle blue cheese crumbles over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment