Low Carb Recipes for the Low Carb Lifestyle

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Celery Root "Potato" Chips

Celery Root "Potato" Chips
Oh these were good.  I mean GOOD kind of good.  Celery Root (aka celeriac) made chips that were extremely close to homemade potato chips.  They do have a bit of a celery aftertaste but it just reminded me of celery salt, which I LOVE so that was kind of a bonus.  I had my 11 year old try them and he declared them awesome....until I told him what they were and he then decided they were "weird" and didn't want anymore.  The Hubs said they were a hit and really enjoyed.  The 2 year old didn't like them and said they were "yuck".  The 15 month old scarfed them while screaming "french fries!" the entire time.  They would be good with a variety of seasonings depending on what flavor of chip you want.  I went with a light sprinkle of seasoning salt and thought it was a perfect flavor to go with the celery salt taste these have naturally.  These will be in my regular snack rotation for sure! *INDUCTION FRIENDLY*

5 STARS
4 servings
4 net carbs per serving (this will vary depending on how big your celery root is)

1 celery root (celeriac)
frying oil of choice (coconut, canola, etc)
seasoning salt to taste

Chop the celery top off of the celery root.  Peel the root with a paring knife (I tried a potato peeler and it was a bit too difficult).  Cut the root ball into 4 pieces to be easier to work with.  If you have a mandolin, use it to get even slices.  If not, try to cut each potato chip with the same thickness to ensure they cook evenly.  Add 1 1/2 - 2 inches of oil in large skillet (cast iron works great for this type of recipe if you have one).  Heat oil on high.  It needs to be very hot so test it by putting a tiny scrap of celery root in to see if instantly starts sizzling before adding your celery chips.  Once your test chip sizzles, fry celery root pieces (you will probably need to do in batches as they won't all fit in your pan) until they turn lightly brown with some darker brown along the edges (like kettle chips).  Watch them closely as they quickly go from a perfect crisp chip to burnt nastiness.  Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel covered plate.  Immediately sprinkle with seasoning salt.  Fry next batch of chips and continue the process.


13 comments:

  1. A nearby pub used to make 'cactus cut nachos'- basically nachos made with house-made potato chips. This recipe is giving me cheesy evil thoughts... (please don't judge me :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds heavenly! I make nachos with pork rinds all of the time. These would be great as well.

      Delete
  2. Just wondering approximately how many "chips" you get from 1 celery root? Do they stay crisp if stored in an airtight container? Thanks, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, the amount of chips would vary considerably based on the size of the celery root you choose, the thickness of your slices, etc so it's not really something I would be able to answer correctly. I would guess that they would not stay crisp in a container but I'm unsure as we ate the entire batch in one sitting!

      Delete
  3. What other root veggies can you use to make "chips?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...if you are in maintenance mode of your low carb lifestyle then you can use yams/sweet potato chips. They are fabulous! I've never tried but maybe jicima? It might be too watery to make a decent chip. Perhaps radishes although I've never tried them either? I really like chips made out of cheese too, which I have a few recipes for in the Snack section of my website.

      Delete
    2. I have done sweet potato before but I wondered if there were anything other ones. I almost bought a celeriac at the store the other day but wasn't sure and wanted to wait until I saw your reply. They seem a bit expensive, my store had then 5.99/lb.

      Delete
    3. I thought it was very expensive as well so I've only made it the one time I posted. I'll have to research to see when it's in season and perhaps the prices will be lower then. I've heard kale chips are good and they are on my to-do list but I've yet to try.

      Delete
    4. I make kale chips all the time! They take no time to make. Love them. What about a rutabega chip?

      Delete
    5. Hmmm...I've never tried but let me know what you think of it if you do!

      Delete
  4. These were delicious! I love your page, you always have great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I find celery root? I've never seen it in Walmart.

    ReplyDelete